A New Me Foundation, INC.


Tuesday, October 7, 2014

22nd POLICE DISTRICT C.A.P.S. BREAKING THE LEASH OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE WALK FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH



On Saturday, October 4th, I had the opportunity to attend the Breaking the Leash #DVAM Walk at the 22nd Police District, hosted by their C.A.P.S. unit.  Along with others, we walked the neighborhood with our dogs wrapped in purple bandanas, doggy treats and toys to help raise awareness.  I bought with me my NEW Shihtzu puppy, Rose.  Rose was the youngest and smallest dog present and was well loved on by fellow attendees and some of the police officers that came outside to support us.

This event was wonderful and a NEW experience for me.  I knew animals such as dogs are also abused during some domestic violence related cases but I never thought to include them in helping us raise awareness.  The dogs and their owners, marched through the neighborhood surrounding the police station, all the while barking and pooping may I add, which caused neighbors to reach out and ask us what cause we were walking for and ways that they too can get involved.

The dogs ranged from all types and sizes.  There was even clergy who prayed over the dogs and the owners before we walked the neighborhood.  I thought that was the cutest prayer I ever heard.  All in all, this was a great experience and I look forward to continuing to find ways to help the 22nd Police District C.A.P.S. unit raise domestic violence.  At the conclusion of the walk, all of the dogs received toys, treats and there were raffle prizes of products for dogs ONLY.  There were light refreshments adorned in purple decorations and great opportunities to network and fellowship with everyone.  What a great time and unique way to help raise awareness for Domestic Violence Awareness Month!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment