A New Me Foundation, INC.


Tuesday, September 23, 2014

GOAL SETTING






Have you ever had a goal that you wanted to pursue but just felt like you didn’t have enough resources to accomplish it or get things up and running to get it done?  What about the calling or purpose in your life that you’ve been passionate about for a while but you felt like no one would support you or that you weren’t educated enough to walk into that season of helping yourself in life as well as others?   Or have you thought about going back to school but have made up every excuse possible for the reasons that you can’t.  Fret not friends, I’ve experienced those same negative thoughts myself at one point of time in my life.

In order to see positive changes happen in your life, you must shift your negative thinking because it produces negative thoughts that produces negative outcomes in and around your life.  I had the pleasure of attending a training this week and the focus was on goal setting as it relates to your education and career.  In this platform today, I want you to use three-year and five-year goal setting plans for both.  Once you navigate through your plans, this road map as you WRITE down your goals, will answer those questions in the above paragraph.  (Refer to the scripture Habakkuk 2:2-3)

Write down your goals in a journal, on a vision board, or on some type of paper where you can place this information around you daily as a reminder to stay focused on your goals, while achieving them.  For example, I have the remaining schedule for my undergrad courses posted on my desk at work, in my homework folder as well as on my bulletin board at home.  I check off each time I enroll in a new class and it visually shows me the remaining classes I have left in order to graduate.  I get a kick out of highlighting a new class.  It’s a symbolic reminder to me that I am staying focused on my educational goals and I’m closer to graduating and moving onto a Master’s program.  I would also suggest doing separate goal setting or goal planning for each of the following: your career, educational or personal goals.  That way, you can SEE your blueprint for each of your goals, and the direction you want them to go in.  While writing your goals, think about answering the following questions and/or suggestions to list in your journal entry:

  •     What are my short and long-term goals?
  •     What sacrifices will you make to accomplish your goal(s)?
  •     What are the key steps to accomplishing your goals? Be specific.
  •     List any resources, mentors, collaborations, etc. that can also help you achieve your goal(s).
  •     Give yourself a deadline to finish your goal(s).
  •     Sign your name at the end of writing out your goal planning.  This is confirming your acknowledgment and approval of your goal(s).
  •     Don’t be afraid to revise your goals as you meet them.


These questions are helpful to give you a push to get your goals written down.  Most people hold on to their goals in their minds because of fear to execute them.  Writing them down, to me, is the first step to executing your goals.  People often want to get the results of things but not take the journey to plan things out orally and in some format of writing.  I’m “old school” as they say.  I like to write my goals out on paper first.  If you are more comfortable with using a fancy app on your laptops, iPads, tablets, phones or whatever else is out there, by all means, USE IT! 

Next, stay consistent with reflecting and revising your goals.  Sometimes, you can start out with a goal, gain some knowledge and/or experiences that require you to revise or change it all together.  Don’t worry.  It happens to the best of us.  Take the necessary lessons learned and keep it moving.  Don’t get discouraged and decide to give up all together.  Think about some of the most successful people who at some point in their life changed their goals to fit and maximize their purpose in life.  Albert Einstein revised his goals, Oprah Winfrey at some point, altered her goals in life.  The late Steve Jobs, Co-Founder, Chairman and CEO of Apple, Inc., changed his goals too.  Some of the greatest inventions, programs and technology all emerged from a revised goal.

Lastly, celebrate yourself once you accomplish your goals.  Giving yourself a pat on the back for a job well done or treating yourself to something special is not only an incentive for you but it motivates you to get back to the drawing board of setting more goals and accomplishing them.  

Hope this help you set and accomplish your goals as it has helped me throughout the years.

Be blessed!

Felicia Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment