A New Me Foundation, INC.


Thursday, February 24, 2011

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ARTICLE FROM THE CHICAGO SUN-TIMES



Read the article below and let's discuss it afterwards:


CHARGE: Man out on bail tries to kill girlfriend


Where do I begin? This article was touching but somehow exposed triumph of the victim. Lover tries to kill her once, goes to jail, gets out and tries a second time. A lot of safety concerns come to my mind initially while reading this. He was inside of her apartment without there being a report of a "forced entry" so needless to say, she let him inside. I'm sure she had her reason(s) as to why but my thing is this: if he did it once, he's capable of doing it again. Now I'm not that cold hearted to believe that people can't change. But if someone tried to KILL me once there is no way if at all possible, that I would want to be in the same room with that person, without law officials present.
I'm not here to judge her decisions, I only read exactly what you read. This is a lesson for all of us to learn from and I hope that Peggy Keane is somewhere sharing her lessons learned as well. Once you've been involved with an abusive partner, it's hard work to physically, emotionally and spiritually disattach yourself from them. That's why the theory in domestic violence says that a victim will leave their abusive partner at the bare minimum of six times before they decide to leave the relationship/marriage for good.
There are cases where victims and survivors may have to meet at a public location with their abuser, but please take all neccessary precautions when doing so: create a buddy system and get law officials involve. This is the number one reason to me that the death rates in domestic altercations or battery cases continue to rise. I'll take the ambitious lawyer hat off for a second and just be honest. The woman usually gets killed whenever she decides to go back. Meaning, she's packed up her belongings or ran out in the middle of the night and did not have time to pack diapers or grab personal belongings. This is that moment where she decides to "go back" into the home and then the tragedy usually happens: he's awaiting her arrival and kills her.
In this particular case, he was inside the apartment with Keane and her friend. Ladies, whatever he has to say, let be either in front of the judge, police or outside of your door until the police arrives. This one decision to let him in almost cost her, her life! As a survivor, I am aware of my surroundings the majority of the time and exercise my rights to the fullest. Report any strange behaviors you see or hear. Always keep your Order of Protection handy, so that the officers can get right down to business once they arrive.
I hope this article has opened up your eyes and realize that domestic violence is a SERIOUS crime and we all can work together to BREAK THE SILENCE OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!!



No comments:

Post a Comment